Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A Day in the Life

So I have noticed that most of my posts lately have been about one particular thing. Either sports, work, family, working out, that kinda stuff. But here ya go-a day in the life.

Wake: Alarm goes off at 8:15 am. I wake up to Gabe Dixon's "All Will Be Well" off my phone. I usually roll around and complain to myself about needing to skip Jimmy Fallon at night and just sleep. Around 8:25 I open For the Love of God and start my daily devotional and Bible readings. As soon as I finish, my phone rings. I shouldn't be getting calls that early, so I knew who it must have been-Chuck. He thought I had died because he hadn't heard from me in a few days and he was wondering how the state of Big Blue Nation was with the hiring of Coach Cal. My response......."I think Jesus came back....." In all seriousness, aside from his questionable recruiting tactics, Coach Cal never breaks the rules, his players, coaches, and administrators love him, and he wins.

9 am: Don't worry, I won't give hourly updates on my day. Not enough goes on for that. I enjoy....well, enjoy may not be the right word.......but I tolerate a few soy sausage biscuits, scrumptulesant yogurt and orange juice. The UK press conference introducing Coach Cal is at 9:30, so I'm kinda waiting around for that. I hear my dad's phone ring. I know who it is-uncle Dan. He calls to make sure my dad is going to watch the press conference so he can update him while he is at work. We watch the press conference (which more people in Kentucky watched than the Super Bowl, I'm sure).

10 am-noon: I lounge around and stay busy. I clean a little bit, check the mower blades because I have to mow the next day, and basically wait on my dad. We go into town to run some errands. Not much exciting.

2pm-4pm:Not much after noon. But at 2 I checked out the Campbellsville University Job Fair. Now I have been to job fairs before and know that they can land you some great leads. This, however, was not one of those job fairs. There were 20 booths-4 branches of the military, 3 banks wanting you to open accounts, 8 advanced education booths offering to help you learn Microsoft Office and stuff like that, McDonalds, Wal-Mart, Kroger's, Enterprise, and Aflac. That was it. So I met with Enterprise and Aflac, and the Aflac meeting went well. Learned alot about the company, had a good rapport, and may have gotten a lead. Not sure if it's anything I would have interest in, but it went really well.

4-5:15pm: Came home, changed, and started my latest Netflix movie-Fireproof. I'm overly critical of acting in films and on stage, and the christian film sector especially annoys me. Don't get me wrong, they must be done. They have a phenomenal message and touch alot of lives. The first night after my mom got back from her treatment last January we watched Facing the Giants, and it was great sharing that with her. But the quality usually isn't great. But Fireproof was much, much better. Kirk Cameron gets it and has some acting chops, and the script and other actors were much better. There were certain scenes that I laughed at because they were corny, but I really enjoyed what I saw of it.

5:30-8:30 pm:Went to my cousin Zach's freshman baseball game. Zach doesn't have an older brother, so I guess I kinda took up that. I took him to a WKU baseball game last year and we sat with the redshirted and injured guys who keep the charts and speed gun in the stands, and he was in awe. And he knew who they were, because some of them were the State Tourney MVP, Mr. Baseball runner-up, and big players in the state. So he has thought that I was pretty ok since I was friends with those guys. So I go check out all of his games and am right now helping him choose his plate music. He's only in 7th grade and starts at short and hits 2nd on the freshman team. Given, the team isn't good, but he has talent and potential. But when Zach isnt batting or getting anything in the field, I sit up in the stands and steal the other team's signs. One of the things that I picked up from working with the guys at WKU was how to steal signs. The coaches never talked about it, but the players not in the game would try to figure them out. It's all part of the game and a cool skill that won't be applicable for anything else in my life. Since the dugout is right near where I sit, if the game is out of reach I will motion to Zach what the signs are and he will see if I am right. If he is in the field, I will see him watch the 3rd base coach between pitches and just laugh because he knows what the signs are at that point. And it's easy for me because freshman coaches don't change it up and are usually obvious so as not to confuse their own players.

9pm-10:15pm: At home I did my daily workout (Plyometrics) and am really wiped.

10:15-11pm: Read for a little bit, watched some Fox News, and about to hit the hay.

So that is a day in the life of a bored Campbellsvillian(if that is how you spell it......looks more like I'm a villian from Campbellsville.....where is Ross to correct my grammar and spelling....)

No comments: