Saturday, February 7, 2009

My Bucket List(for 2009)


I am a person who likes to set goals. I like to look at a piece of paper and see a list of desires that I have. It keeps me focused and actively pursuing those. I was thinking about my bucket list the last few days. It was funny, because as I was thinking about it, I was on Facebook, and Chris Raynolds made a comment about bucket lists in his status. Technically, a bucket list is a list of things you want to do before you "kick the bucket." But I don't know when I will kick the bucket. So this is my Bucket List for 2009, in case I kick it on New Years 2010.


1.Do all the devos and readings for DA Carson's "For the Love of God." For anyone who never went to Living Hope in Bowling Green, this was a churchwide challenge to read God's word and study together, but it was from a few years back. I didnt do it because I was doing my own thing, and focusing on just a few verses at a time. But I really want to gain perspective on the grand scheme of the Bible, and see how it all fits together. It's a devotional book with assigned readings, and at the end of the year, if you have followed along all year, you will have read the Old Testament once and New Testament twice. So I'm excited to continue reading.


2. Get out of unnecessary debt. This includes all debt except for my student loans, which will take me awhile to get paid off. I have some medical bills because of my dads old company filing for bankrupcy and not paying the insurance company for families that were covered on the insurance plan. And I didn't know I had outstanding debt till I did a credit check. Not fun.


3a. Run a half and full-marathon. The half will come during my training for the full. I have had this great desire to run a marathon, but for one reason or another(injury, lack of time, lack of will-power) I haven't finished my training plan and run the race. I'm already on the path. I started a 12-week Spring Training schedule designed by Hal Higdon, Runner's World's former editor. After the 12-week plan, I will begin a 30-week plan, with the goal being to run the St. Jude's Memphis Marathon in December. Katie Lewis, it better be a good one, so don't let me down. When training in the past, I havent given myself enough time to build up a good base and shed weight before starting. I have a slow pace anyways, so the spring training and extended summer and fall training plan should help drop my times. So keep on me folks! I want to do this.


4a. Go bungee jumping. I have wanted to go bungee jumping for awhile, but haven't been around a place that does it. Well, I'm going to take the initiative and find somewhere that does this year. I'm really excited to think about it.

4b. Go skydiving. This is a bigger goal. I don't know anywhere to go skydiving, but this summer I'm going for it. So if anyone wants to join me for either of these, let me know!!


5. Fly to LA to see Jeremy and Amanda. I have never been on an airplane. The closest I have ever been to an airport was to pick up Balcy from the airport. I'm not scared of flying at all. My family didnt vacation much growing up, and when we did, we drove. I'm shooting for late July/early August to go out there. Jeremy and I have talked since my sophomore year of high school about going to LA and being tourists for a little bit and even going on an audition or two, just for fun. And since he lives and works out there now, and is kinda in the industry, he swears that it will be easy for him to get us into a meaningless audition. Definitely no hope or desire to stay or act, but I would love to say that I auditioned. Plus I miss them and want to hang out with them.


6. Get back on track to graduate. With everything going on, I know that finishing school as quickly as possible is a huge goal. I will be working full time, so going to school full time also will be tough, but do-able. I want to be back in Chattanooga soon, so this is how that is going to happen.


7. Coach little league baseball. I absolutely love kids and baseball. And I know how big of an impact coaches have on kids, and how so few impact them the right way. I want to coach football as well, but Campbellsville doesn't really have much of an outlet for youth football. I get more and more excited the more I think about it. And my dad was an incredible coach (winningest coach in Kentucky, led lots of youth teams to state titles, lots of kids playing pro ball, president of the top little league in the US), and even if he cant do much physically, I know he would love to get out there and help out with the kids. Even though he can come off as a grizzly bear to people my age, he is great with kids.


8. Be a better friend. I have the best friends in the world. But I also know that I can be a subpar friend at times. I'm not very good at calling(other than Jeremy), and I want to do that more often. I also don't pray enough for my friends. Sure, I pray when they are dealing with things, but definitely not the way I should when things are going good. All of the other things on my bucket list have a set goal, while this one doesnt, but this one is really important to me.


9. Make the deans list. I would love to be on the dean's list my first semester back. I am a little bit worried about my study habits, since I have had a break from school. But I also think my resolve is better than ever. So dean's list it is.


10. Send my parents on vacation. My parents really need a vacation. They have alot of burdens and worries, and a vacation would go a long way. And they never want to go anywhere big. They would much rather go to Pigeon Forge and Dollywood than really anywhere else. And they have really helped me in the past, so I want to repay the favor.


Well there is my bucket list. I have alot of other goals in my spiritual life, but I don't think the Blogger website is big enough to hold all of those. For my readers: what's your bucket list? I know everyone has goals and desires. Well, share. That's my challenge. Have a blessed day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, let me know when you're bungee jumping. If I can find a ride or if it's walking distance from my house, I'm in!

PS-The bucket list as a concept is probably a lot better than "The Bucket List" as a movie. Just throwing that out there...

Katie said...

Nice Bucket List!! You won't be dissapointed with the Memphis Half!! And don't worry, I'll be on you to make sure you are still training in May ;) lol!