Friday, December 19, 2008

When You Wish Upon A Star

Well its Friday, and not soon enough. A majority of my week has been spent worrying about the company newsletter, which I had to finish by today in order to get them to the customers by Christmas. We have never done a company newsletter, and I don't think I have ever made a newsletter. To start things off, I am using an ancient computer that has many issues loading programs, so using Microsoft Word was an issue. Luckily, I have a smart old roomie who knows a thing or two about computers, and his conclusion-the computer sucks. Thanks Ben. After deleting basically everything on the computer to free up space, we were able to get Word to work, which meant I could get to work. Well it is almost lunch time on Friday now, and yes, the newsletter is complete. One of my first big tasks is complete.

Working on the marketing and sales of our company has got me thinking more and more about my own company. I am planning on opening my own sports store, and working with high school athletic directors and coaches in order to handle all of their equipment needs. I spent some time working as a Coach in Training Hibbett Sports, which gave me some great experience in the sporting goods industry. Hibbetts wouldnt allow me enough free reign or independence, so I knew that I wanted to open my own. And working with WKU's baseball team helped alot, as well. So I spent some time today looking at different business plans, just so I can get more of an idea of what it will take. And I'm not gonna lie, it is a pretty intimidating idea to start your own business. But it also got me really excited.

It's not so much that I want to be Donald Trump or a big mogul. I can't get the idea of my own business out of my mind, so I'm going to go for it. My job at Outdoor Inc. has been great in preparing me. Matt and Todd give me alot of room to do my own work, make mistakes, and explore new ideas. The experience I am getting now is easily the most valuable experience I have had thus far. So here we go. My list of goals by the time I'm 30. You could call it a bucket list, but this is more for my business, not completely life encompassing.

1. Finish my undergrad within 2 years. Part time student ofcourse.

2. Complete an MBA program at UTC or another accredited program by the time I am 30.

3. Have a business plan completed within 2 years.

4. Begin the steps to acquiring a store property site within 4 years.

5. Open the business, including store and fully operational team sales division, by the age of 30.

Everyone that I have talked to says to give yourself alot more time to complete things than you think it will take. So all of these plans have built in extra time. There are obviously many other things that I would like to do within this time (i.e. run a marathon, buy a house, get married), but these are just business goals. I am getting excited thinking about the idea of being a legit business owner in Chattanooga. I have soon business done in a Godly way and ungodly way, and am so thankful that God has shown me both. So now to get down to it. Ready, set, go.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

We have just added your latest post "When You Wish Upon A Star" to our Directory of Sports. You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to submit all your future posts to the directory and get a huge base of visitors to your website.


Warm Regards

Sportstrove.info Team

http://www.sportstrove.info