Monday, March 9, 2009

Busy Weekend/NCAA Moment #4

Well I ended up having a pretty busy weekend for once. I don't like not having something to do, so this weekend went well. On Saturday, Brent, my dad, uncle Dan, aunt Leslie, and myself went to Bradfordsville to do some work. My 13 year old cousin Zach(Dan and Leslie's son) inherited a house and land from his great aunt on Leslie's side. She was really old and he would spend more time with her than anyone, so she left most of her stuff to him. Well she lived in a very old, run down home that was packed wall to wall with stuff. She never got rid of a thing. She had four or five stand up record players, including one that was a crank player which was used before electricity. So it was definitely circa turn of last century. We all went to clean up and start packing things that were not going to be sold at auction. I realized one thing:I am so thankful that I am not a packrat. Alot of the stuff was tacky to us, but at some point someone gave it to her and it meant something to her. So we spent alot of the day out there working.

That afternoon my Gators went ahead and punched UK's ticket to the NIT by giving them there 4th straight loss and knocking them into a much more difficult side of the SEC Tournament bracket. I don't have anything against the players, and think that Jodie Meeks and Patrick Patterson are both class acts, but the inner workings of the athletic department is very backwards and crooked. And Billy Gillespie has certainly benefitted from there efforts at keeping his misgivings and legal trouble away from the major media, much in the same way they did with Rick Pitino. I was born a UK fan, but fell in love with Florida early on. Tubby Smith may have struggled in his last few seasons, but he also graduated all of his players, kept them in line, was a champion in the state for children's charities, and did win some ballgames(2nd best win percentage in the country during his tenure). And the way he was treated by the administration, the local media, and most importantly the fans really turned me off of UK basketball. Had Coach K from Duke been at UK he would have been fired 4 years ago for not delivering enough championships. That's how they work. And the money allocation within the athletic department is also so slanted towards basketball. That's why I respect so much what Rich Brooks has done with the football team, because he didn't have the universities unyielding support. So this long, unexpected rant is basically to say that I love when a class act like Billy Donovan and Florida knock off Billy G. And that we still have an outside chance at getting an at-large NCAA Tournament bid also gets my hopes up.

Since we are on the topic of the NCAA Tournament, I now present my #4 NCAA Tournament moment. I was actually on the phone with Joe Brunk when this happened, so we got to share the moment. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGHQ6xpnahI

No comments: