Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Knockout Blow

Since I have gotten back to Campbellsville, I have tried to be more conscious about what I eat and my workouts. I have more down time than normal, so I can focus on it more. I have started a new workout plan, and it is definitely kicking my butt. But the diet is always the hardest part for me. But as I have grown older, I have learned how to tolerate foods that I don't really like. Yesterday, I actually fixed a mushroom omelet. It wasn't really my cup of tea, but it was healthy, and I ate it. I have stopped mindless snacking during the day, instead going with nuts and celery, which I like.

Which takes me to Saturday. I was really excited for Saturday, because the Hilltoppers were playing Gonzaga in the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament. I had picked up some cashews, which I grew up eating and always loved. As I'm watching the UNC-LSU game, I'm just kinda snacking on them. And then I just got a brutal migraine. I don't really get bad headaches, but this was one of the worst that I have ever had. My face got really hot and red. And about five minutes later, I looked down, and both of my hands had swelled up like a guy who just finished an MMA fight. I knew immediately that my I was having an allergy attack. So I took the cashews upstairs, popped in some aspirin and allergy meds, and hit the sack. I missed the 2nd half of a great Carolina game, but did it so I could get some rest for the WKU-Gonzaga game. I woke up just in time for tip-off and got to watch the guys drop a heartbreaker on a last second lay-up. I really couldn't enjoy it, but stayed up for the game, and then went to bed.

The next day I talked to our neighbor and family friend Allen, who is in charge of the emergency medical services in town. His 3-year old daughter Jenna comes over to play all the time, so we know them all really well. I talked to him about it, and he thought that I was allergic to sea salt, which is now in all Planters peanuts. Since I last had cashews less than a year ago, he didn't think I could have developed the allergy in that short of time. So I went and got some non-sea salt cashews. As soon as the headache started coming back, I knew that it was cashews. So no more cashews for this guy. Luckily, I'm a big almonds fan.

Hopefully, I won't have any random allergies to new foods that I'm eating. The diet and new workouts should help me gear up for the Memphis Marathon in December, which I am focusing on. Now that I have my friend K-Lew running it as well, I know that I have to keep pushing it. Watch out Steve Prefontaine, I'm coming for ya.

3 comments:

Joe Brunk said...

Did Prefontaine actually run a marathon? I thought he was more of a miler or 2 miler on the ol' track...but hey, whatever keeps you motivated big guy...

Katie said...

hahaha i wish i could have seen your swelled up hands. keep runnin!! see ya in memphis :)

Toddy P said...

Prefontaine was a mile guy, but I aim to be to the marathon what he was to the mile......or just finish.