Tuesday, March 17, 2009

World Baseball Classic and NCAA Moment #2

USA 6-PUERTO RICO 5

So the World Baseball Classic has had a ton of criticism. It was started by MLB Commissioner Bud Selig to try to expand the game globally. It is wildly popular in every country but the USA. And that blows my mind. I am jacked up about the Classic, but American media members continue to question the US player's heart and desire and will to play and win. They have been accused of not caring and rolling over to the Latin and Asian teams. Sure, the WBC does have its issues. It is played every 3 years and the whole tournament takes place during Spring Training. Pitchers are not in shape yet, and hitters havent seen much live pitching. And teams are worried about their players getting hurt there, while they could get hurt just as easily with their MLB team. In 2006, the USA finished 8th. Now a disclaimer:many teams, including Cuba, are filled with players who are midseason, so they are in better game shape. And that US team didnt care as much. It was mainly a team of big names without much concept of team.
Enter the 2009 crew. There were only a few players back from the 2006 team (including Chipper Jones and Derek Jeter). From day one, these guys said it meant alot. The American media still questioned them, especially after a 2nd round loss to Puerto Rico, leaving them one loss from going home before the semifinals. They rebounded to knock off the Netherlands, setting up a rematch with Puerto Rico, with the winner going to the semifinals, and the loser going home. It was an intense game, with both teams squandering scoring chances. The pitching was good for the most part, and the defense was outstanding. In the 9th, with the USA down 5-3, they went to work. Back to back singles got men on. After a flyout, a stolen base, and a walk, the bases were loaded with one out. Another walk brought home a run, making it 5-4. A double play could still end it. But David Wright (the guy in the picture) came up to the plate. He has been the most vocal American supporting the WBC and saying how important it is. In fitting fasion, he knocked a tough down and away slider for a single, scoring the tying and winning runs. The USA mobbed each other near 2nd base. Now every journalist says how much fun the USA is having, and how important it is to them. It had to be important enough before now, otherwise they would have gone home. But it was one of the games that I wont forget. And yes, I'm not the average fan, but the casual fan or just anyone would have been excited watching the team after the winning run came in. I can't wait for the semifinals.
And now we are on to NCAA Tournament Moment #2. I know many people probably arent following my choices, but I persevere regardless. This play was one of my earliest tournament memories. My dad actually called my school and told them I was sick so we could stay home and watch the games. And this happened. Enjoy #2. #1 comes tomorrow.

2 comments:

Joe Brunk said...

I wondered if Valpo was gonna make your list. After that game, me and one of my friends beat my brother and one of his friends in basketball, and we called ourselves Valpo for a year after that...

Toddy P said...

I stayed up all night for that year's NBA Draft just waiting to hear Bryce Drew's name, because I really wanted him to be a Pacer and play with Reggie Miller. And I was mad for weeks when he didnt get drafted. Turns out a short, slow white kid with a slow shot isn't really on the top of most GM's wish list.